Translate

Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Bill Staines, NH Singer/Songwriter, Passes

 I was very much saddened by the news that Bill Staines, NH folksinger/songwriter, passed away on 12/5/2021. Without knowing it until three weeks ago, the pancreatic cancer from which he had suffered for 20 years had metastasized in a very aggressive way. He was 74 years old. I was lucky enough to have attended two of his concerts in my hometown, summers ago. Bill was internationally-known and was a well-loved musician, a gentle soul.



In 2003, I was so inspired by his song, "Redbird's Wing," that I designed a quilt based on the lyrics. I contacted Bill and he graciously allowed me to print the words of the song on the back of the quilt. You can probably hear this song, if you Google it. It begins:  "Oh, I have left the ground behind/ On windy whispers, I am climbing/ past the spruce and spindly pine/ where winding waters sing..." He was, of course, referring to riding in an airplane over Alaska. The lyrics are full of imagery and led themselves well to visual interpretation. I call my quilt, "On Windy Whispers."

What a joy it was to know Bill's music. I also enjoy the music of his talented son, Bowen Staines, and have his CD-ROM. The apple did not fall far from the tree. Bill is perhaps best known for his song, "All God's Critters Got a Place in the Choir," the basis of a book for children, and published in the Rise Up Singing songbook. The people who love folk music in New England have certainly lost one of the greatest folksingers of our time. Rest in peace, Bill Staines. We are going to keep on singing and playing your music!

Patricia Cummings



No comments: