Translate

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Sweetheart & Mother Pillows 1917-1945

On October 1, 2018 I am scheduled to provide a talk and slide presentation (for seniors) from 11:15 a.m. -12:30 p.m. at the City Wide Community Center Auditorium at the Concord Parks & Recreation Building (the former Dame School on the Heights in Concord, NH). The focus of the discussion will be historical artifacts featured in my book, Sweetheart & Mother Pillows 1917-1945.

A French postcard is featured as the background for the cover of my book.
 A few pillow covers can also be seen. (Schiffer Publishing, 2011)


The military pillow covers were bought at the PX or BX, sometimes hastily and post-paid on the spot, as military personnel shipped overseas to fulfill combat missions, not knowing if they would ever return. Many who served did not come back, as you well know. Today, many of these pillow covers are surfacing as odd and unknown objects, stored away for many years, folded, and in bureau drawers. Descendants, not having a personal attachment to the objects, are selling them online or to antiques dealers.

When I first saw a military pillow of this kind, I was struck by its color (apricot), its sentimental poem, and Army insignia. My book has 247 images, most of them pillow covers from World War I and World War II, as well as a chapter on Civilian Conservation Corps pillow covers (and history).

At the moment, I have only one pillow cover in my possession. It has a poem dedicated "To A Special Friend." It is from a special friend so I plan to treasure it and keep it! The rest of the pillow covers I gave to either the National World War I Museum & Memorial in Kansas City, Missouri or to the Wright Museum of World War II in Wolfeboro, NH and to the Civilian Conservation Corp (C.C.C. Legacy Foundation) in Virginia.

Through the words that appear on the pillow covers, I was able to learn a great deal about American history including information about military bases and military personnel and it was fun learning! I hope that many of you will be able to hear my presentation or, if not, will avail yourself of the continued availability of my book, ($24.95 plus shipping). My e-mail address is:  quiltersmuse@gmail.com


No comments: