Translate

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Books Worthy of Your Time

The Soul of America: The Battle for our Better Angels by Jon Meacham is a book I looked forward to reading. So far, I have not been disappointed. Meacham is a Pulitzer Prize winner, a presidential historian and a scholar whose books have appeared on the New York Times Bestselling List. He carefully links what is happening today to events that occurred in the past and has a resounding message -  We will get through this! Optimism and hope are always stronger messages that fear, criticism and anger. I cannot wait to read the rest of the book but I am delayed because his sentences and quotes are so astute, I want to keep reading them again!

The other book on my reading list is Home on the Plains: Quilts and the Sod House Experience by Stephanie Grace Whitson and Kathy Moore. That was published in 2011 by C&T Publishing. Like most out-of-print books, the price of the book has skyrocketed by sellers hoping to make a profit. We checked many sources for the book before finding a copy at a reasonable price at the University of Nebraska's bookstore online. I have only read a few pages of the book but am excited by the photographs and the quilt projects that are featured in the book. I might have to plan another quilt!

It is good to have some compelling reading material to stimulate the grey cells. I would be doing more knitting except that carpal tunnel syndrome is getting in the way of that. I am happy to say that last year I read the entire Poldark series. Those books by Winston Graham are definitely worth reading. I cannot wait for the newest Poldark series on television (PBS) to be featured at the end of this month. There are plenty of good books available. A reader is never bored!

No comments: