Translate

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Twiddlemuff

I just finished making a Twiddlemuff from an Australian pattern from an unknown source. (I modified the pattern a bit). A Twiddlemuff is a circular, knitted tube onto which embellishments such as buttons and pompoms are sewn. Once in the hands of an Alzheimer's patient, the person can have fun touching and fiddling with the embellishments.

Twiddlemuff by Patricia Cummings; photo by James Cummings


I adhered to the instructions, using bulky yarn. I did not own any "fancy" textured yarns to add in for interest's sake. I used straight needles, size 10 U.S., and cast on 45 stitches. I first knit an 11" inch "cuff" and then 23" more in various colored yarns in a stocking stitch. The long sides get joined together on the purl side. Then, the tube is turned inside out and the two ends are stuffed in to make a final length of 16 inches. The ends are tacked in place with the addition of embellishments, securely sewn on. Due to choking hazards should an embellishment come loose, the Twiddlemuff should only be used under supervision. I took extra care on securing the buttons, etc.

After the initial 11" of the same yarn, I alternated colors in blocks of 4" with 2" of ivory yarn in between each color. I had never sewn purl sides together before and I benefited from watching an instructional video on Google. I like every project I make to be a learning experience!

I plan to donate the finished item to a county nursing home in hopes that an Alzheimer's patient there will enjoy it. Both ends of the cuff are open, allowing the person to insert a hand in either end. I feel good about finishing the project. It cost about $25. between the price of the bulky yarns and the embellishments. I hope some poor soul will get some happiness out of using it.



No comments: