Translate

Saturday, October 17, 2020

Christmas Cactus

 Anyone who knows me knows that I love houseplants. I became interested in them as a 4-H project when I was about 12 years old and have kept some plants ever since. Right now, I have two very large Christmas cacti, (three to four feet in expanse), one with broad leaves and the other with smaller, more delicate leaves. The one with broad leaves blooms twice per year for several months. As it has gotten older, one side blooms at a time, quickly followed by the other side. I don't know why that is happening as I rotate the plants a quarter turn every time I water them.




The broad leaf cactus has a history. I started the plant using one segment that had fallen to the floor of my mother's nursing home room when a visitor brought a blooming plant to my mother's roommate. The segment was in very good condition and my mother told me to bring it home to see if I could "root" it. I did just that! The plant grew by leaps and bounds and has consistently rewarded me with many blossoms.

The last time it bloomed was in May. Now it is October and it has begun blossoming again. I expect it will "go" until Christmas, if not beyond.

My other plants are succulents and African violets. I have one orchid that was given to me and when it finished blooming, it has put on more growth but no more buds. I have it under a grow light along with some of the African violets. When it comes to plants, I find it is best to water them once a week, fertilize them occasionally, and just let Nature do its thing. They are so cheerful and an added benefit is that they add oxygen to the air! They respond to Tender Loving Care and they never talk back!


No comments: