Translate

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Gift of Redwork

I am so happy to have just completed a small quilt based on a quilt block done in Redwork by my friend in Germany. Tamara Shpolyanska decided to take the photo I sent to her which depicts my husband Jim and I wearing Civil War costumes and turn it into an embroidered piece. We had dressed up in these clothes while giving a presentation about Civil War quilts in August 2011 to a local historical society. By Christmas, we decided to don the garments again to take a "selfie" in front of our Christmas tree to send as the front of our Christmas cards that year. It is from that card that Tamara got the idea to embroider us. She has been a big fan of Redwork and enjoyed my articles in The Quilter magazine and the book(s) I wrote on the subject.

I layered the quilt block, hand-quilted the block, and added borders which are tied. Of course, I added a sleeve for hanging, as well as a quilt label which gives credit to Tamara for the Redwork and myself for the finishing of the piece, the place(s) where this object was made, and the date it was finished. I am very grateful to Tamara for this gift!

Jim Cummings and Pat Cummings dressed in Civil War costumes

The original photo from which Tamara worked


No comments: