Translate

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Christmas Postcard - World War I

A cottage industry emerged in France during World War I. Skilled needleworkers used silk threads and silk ribbon to create amazing pillow covers but also postcards that military personnel could purchase and send home to a loved one. Some of the postcards were more colorful than others and many carried a heartfelt message.

"Joyeux Noel" World War I postcard shows holly and a beribboned basket


The postcard I am showing here today says "Joyeux Noel" ("Merry Christmas" in French). Many of these old items show some age stains, as does this one. When it was new, I am sure it was sent with much love and received with great gratitude. Note how the leaves are artistically "shaded." A lot of thought was put into this simple design!


No comments: