Translate

Monday, December 14, 2015

Comfort in Piecing Traditional Designs

For my latest quilt, I chose a traditional quilt pattern known as "Puss in the Corner," a variation of "Nine Patch." The quilt is inspired by a class on craftsy.com that I participated in recently with Pepper Cory as the instructor. I had not taken a quilt class in years and thought the class about using scraps would be very fun. It was!

"Puss in the Corner" quilt by Patricia Cummings, finished on December 13, 2015


I chose yellow and orange fabrics as well as muslin-color polka dot fabrics and other fabrics, all of them with their own special visual texture. The machine quilting, done by Tracy Szanto of Dreamland Machine Quilting in Penacook, NH, also is closely-wrought, adding even more texture. The batting is Quilter's Dream poly batting. The photo somehow does not do the quilt justice because it does not show close-ups of the interesting fabrics that were chosen for the centers of each block.

The process of making this quilt was very fun. I loved choosing fabrics from my stash and pulling together unlikely candidates that otherwise would not seem suitable to "live" in the same quilt. The variety of fabrics include batiks, a hexagon print, some brightly-colored yellow fabric, and two pieces of "Victorian" looking fabric with faces. The quilt measures approximately 42" x 42". As with any quilt, the operative word is "done." Now I can dream about my next project!

Happy Quilting!


No comments: