Translate

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A Quilt Block Tribute

About 9 years ago I made a quilt block to which I added one of the verses from "Versos Sencillos" by a 19th century Cuban poet. I love the words which translated are: "I cultivate a white rose/ in July as in January/ for the sincere friend/ who gives me his honest hand."

At the time, I had been given a packet of fat quarters by Marcus Brothers due to a quilting tip I had provided for their website. I mainly used that fabric in the construction of the main part of the block. So far, I have not fashioned the block into a pillow or a quilt. Like so many other "blocks" that live at my house, it is still just a block.

Crazy Quilt block by Patricia L. Cummings


Just yesterday, I added a file to my website about the poet:  José Marti. Some of his verses are included in the song, "Guantanamera." As a Spanish major in the 1960s/early 1970s, I was exposed to the work of many Spanish poets and writers. Of all of them, the verse I like the best is included on this quilt block.

You'll find more about the poet under the "History" section of my website (Scroll to the bottom): http://www.quiltersmuse.com




No comments: