Translate

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Quilt Donated to Museum

Here is a photo of the quilt that I just sent off to the William McKinley Presidential Library & Museum. It is a Redwork quilt that I designed. The five embroidered quilt blocks are reproductions of Penny Squares sold at the Pan Am Exposition in 1901. There is a large and fairly famous Redwork quilt that utilizes all the Penny Squares in that series, including those that depict the various buildings at the Exposition.

President McKinley Tribute Quilt by Patricia Cummings


The center square of my quilt shows the Temple of Music. That is where President McKinley was shot at point blank range by a crazy person who snuck into the receiving line. The quilt has "musical" fabrics to support the theme, one of them with a black background to remember a nation in mourning. The president did not die immediately. His vice president, Theodore Roosevelt, (who is also depicted on the quilt), became president. The images of the wives of the two men are also embroidered on the other quilt blocks.

I have always been interested in political and presidential quilts and decided to make this one in 2006. It is hand embroidered, hand appliqued, and hand quilted. I am so happy that the museum wanted to collect this quilt! It makes my heart glad to share my work!


No comments: