|Tee-shirt quilt made for my son and finished on May 24, 2018|
Then I had to decide on a fabric for sashings. I chose black fabric with musical notes and symbols as the recipient loves music. Since so many of the blocks had a red background, I chose red for the cornerstones. That fabric has stylized letters written in an all-over pattern. I very much wanted to use the tie-dye shirt he provided. It is so colorful and cheerful and has writing on one side.
The first border is a burnt orange color fabric with a tiny bird print. I think it helps to coordinate the look of the quilt. The second and final border is magenta. It is batik fabric with large scale leaves and undertones of orange.
I used all the shirts he gave me with the exception of a green shirt that I did not think would blend well with the other colors. For two of the blocks in the bottom row, I used a Red Sox fabric that I had on hand as he is an avid fan of that baseball team.
|Block dedicated to Samuel Sewell and 50 years of the United Church of Christ|
Sewing the blocks together was a challenge. I found it worked best if the jersey fabric was the top fabric going under the sewing machine needle. The jersey fabric stretches slightly more than the cotton fabric, even when fused, so it was a task to get the cornerstones properly placed.
|Tie-dye block that commemorates a Mission Trip|
The quilt is as perfect as I could make it and it is now finished! It was made with a mother's love and it will be warm and serve as a memory of times when the recipient was a youth leader in his church and took his group of young people to visit the Lakota Indians on several occasions, as well as participating in other missions.
|"WE ARE ALL RELATED" ~ Lakota Sioux|
Now, it is time to think about finishing some UFOs and perhaps starting another small or not-so-small project. Goodness knows, I have the free time and the materials at hand to continue quilting for a very long time!