Translate

Monday, May 18, 2020

Adult Coloring

I was introduced to the idea of adult coloring at the senior center in my hometown. It was set up as an activity for people to do while the knitting group carried on in the same room. The seniors coordinator provided gel pens, colored pencils and a treasure trove of coloring books and loose pages presumably printed from the Internet.

After telling a friend of my new interest, she bought me a set of 36 colored pencils and later gave me a set of gel pens. My husband, who had taken an art course at (adult education) at the high school, had acquired a nice set of Prismacolor pencils. He has since ordered more art supplies such as flesh-colored pencils for doing faces. He also bought me some earth-tone gel pens on amazon. All in all, we are well-stocked with coloring supplies.



We have a "date" every Sunday night. We color in my studio while listening to the Folk Show on National Public Radio. Music is a good background for our artistic efforts. It is not as easy as it looks to choose appropriate colors.

Recently, Better Day Books offered a free coloring book to download. It has quarantine themes and words related to "flattening the curve," etc. So far, I have finished two of the coloring pages. Here is the second one.


I like the message. "It's a Good Day to Have a Better Day." We could all use better days these days. We are tired of the stay-at-home order and limited access to businesses. It is unlikely that we will ever get back to "normal" again, or so it seems. There is hope of a vaccine and limited testing has been done so far. A vaccine is our only hope of resuming all activities as we once knew them and even then, many of us will approach public activities with caution as our brains have been programmed to fear being with other people. For now, we can only make the most of Today and try, against all odds, to have a better day!


No comments: