Translate

Monday, August 11, 2014

The Demise of The Quilter Magazine by All-American Crafts, Inc.

I am extremely sad tonight to report that the final issue of The Quilter magazine was published and it was to be the last. On Friday afternoon, operatives at The Quilter magazine shut their doors to future business leaving unpaid bills and unhappy workers who have given beyond their "all" to the company.

As a free-lance writer, I contributed more than 90 articles since September 1999. I wrote steadily for 15 years, coming up with ideas that enchanted my editor, Laurette Koseroski. Now, she is no longer my editor, just my friend in a deep friendship we forged over time in working together. The pity of the situation is that I just wrote what she deemed to be my best article ever. I signed the contract and now, the article will not be published in The Quilter. My husband and I worked very hard and had a large outlay of time and money for the two-part article. With publication grinding to a halt, it will not be published.

There is no doubt that I am of retirement age and my editor is the same age as me. I am not sure what is next. I have some writing projects in mind as well as some quilt projects. It does seem that whenever a door closes, a window seems to open. Like someone told me today,"If you give up hope, Pat, you might as well be dead." I have not given up hope. I am a self-starter who is always busy and I find plenty of work to do, paid or unpaid.

I want to thank Laurette for being such a fan of my work and strong supporter (and friend). I am thankful for the thousands of readers who have read the pages of the magazine on a regular basis. It is always hard to say good-bye. In a sense, I am happy to have this blog and my website (yes, it is still there) and will share information and my quirky thoughts as they happen. Thanks for being along for the ride.

Patricia Cummings
www.quiltersmuse.com

No comments: