Translate

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Fabric - Can't Get it Off of My Mind

Within the last month or so, I became aware of a certain fabric offered at Spoonflower.com. At the time, I did not buy any but had it in my mind that I wanted to buy some yardage for an as yet un-designated project. Today, I could resist no longer. I ordered two yards of the fabric, one of my favorites in a very long time. It is whimsical. The person who designed it stated that no language was used in the captions inasmuch as it was desired that the fabric have universal appeal. The fabric shows two praying mantis', a male and a female. The male is thinking of romance; the female is considering food:  a brutally honest view of the hierarchy of important matters. Anyhow the green and pink colors are great and that insect is one of my favorites!

Spring it the time for whimsy. Today, I painted my fingernails mint green. Why? Because I could! Meanwhile, my better half was in the garden planting carrots, onions, potatoes, and leeks, and I was indoors making a new cacti garden and potting a miniature Kalenchoe into a ceramic "fox" container. I am slowly adding more houseplants. I love them and in this house, we grow M.O.N.S.T.E.R. plants.

The mail brought a huge piece of hand-dyed Aida cloth so I can get started on yet another counted cross-stitch project that will be exhaustingly huge. In the quilting department, I plan to bring a wholecloth pre-marked quilt to a machine quilter so that it can be basted. I plan to set myself up in the den with that project and have bought pink thread with which to hand quilt the entire project.

In the publishing department, the article we wrote about the President Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site in Plymouth Notch, Vermont, is in print and a few advance copies were sent out. The magazine will be available by May 12 on newsstands and sooner, if you are a lucky subscriber. Each time we have visited the site, it was a memorable and enriching experience. Cannot wait to visit again very soon!

Already, my editor is hard at work on my next article and has already had a glimpse of the two articles that will appear in the magazine after that (special features written by me). No, I have not gone away but I am taking a break from website publishing, at the moment. We might even be heading to a quilt show near you, soon! We love to see what new quilts are trending and the vast repertoire of recently-fashioned quilts.

So, these are the things that fill my head on this not-winter, cold, and almost-spring day: flowering plants, new beginnings, quilt and needlework projects, the garden, and all of the articles I write and have written about museum-held historic artifacts that were made by real people in their own, often folksy manner.

Stay tuned. Rumor has it that another quilt show is happening nearby this week. Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning, and nothing could be better than to be in New Hampshire during maple-sugaring season. Stay happy, think positive, and seize upon those things that make you happy...like the Spoonflower fabric I ordered. I have fabric, therefore I AM.

Cheers.

Patricia


No comments: